Club rides aresuspended. not running.on hold.All members must follow government guidelines for lockdown restrictions.
Thank you for riding the virtual Reliability Trial with us in 2021.
If you pre-registered to receive a certificate, please remember to submit your actual results by the end of 8 February using the button here.
Actual results submission closes at 23.59 on 8 February 2021.
There is still time to donate £5 (or more, or less) to
The Vine Food Bank, Croydon, UK on this page.
Who are we?
The Old Portlians Cycling Club (OPCC), also known as the Old Ports, is a long established, friendly cycling club serving the South London/North Kent area, which offers a wide variety of rides and activities for the aspiring, confident or experienced rider. Based in West Wickham, near Bromley, we welcome all cyclists - irrespective of the sort of bike you have or the sort of riding you want to do. There is just one qualification – you must be able to keep up with the pace!
You can read more about the history of the club here.
The Club was formed in 1921 so 2021 will be our 100-year anniversary and we are planning a number of events to celebrate. Join the Club and be a part of this major milestone in the Club’s history!
What do we do?
We offer regular (normally 52 weeks a year) weekend rides out into the beautiful Kent, Surrey and Sussex countryside, accommodating most types of rider in a range of different events and forms of cycling. We also do occasional mid-week or evening rides.
We mainly do ‘road cycling’ but we also undertake gravel routes and some club members ride on the track, take part in Time Trials and Road Races, undertake sportives or do Audax rides. However, we don’t do mountain bike rides. During the Coronavirus ‘lockdown’ period, we organised regular indoor Zwift rides and these will continue if the weather is too atrocious!
On Saturdays, we ride for about 28 – 40 miles at an average pace of about 12 – 13 mph and we like to stop for coffee and cake, usually (but not always) at the half-way point. You can expect about 2000 ft of climbing on this ride.
On Sundays, we ride for about 50 – 60 miles at an average pace of about 15 -17 mph and we like to stop for coffee and cake, usually (but not always) at the half-way point. You can expect about 3000 ft of climbing on this ride. Unless you are an experienced rider who is used to this sort of distance and pace, you are strongly advised to join a Saturday ride first.
All the details about club rides are here.
The Club organises a number of other events and activities:
- Reliability Trial - In early February, as a precursor to the racing season, we organise a 60 mile 'leisure' ride. This is open to all comers, for riders of all abilities and takes riders up over the Ashdown Forest to a welcome tent of tea and biscuits before the turn for home. We have a reputation for putting on one of the toughest rides pre-race season. No better way to get you fit fast! As a club member, you’ll be able to help out as well as ride the event!
- The Tour de France – The Club usually organises a trip to ride and watch mountain stages of the Tour de France.
- Brighton Bash - A social ride to Brighton and back in August. Two ability levels, each meeting in a cafe in Brighton for refreshments before the return home.
- Club Classics Tours - This usually takes place in March/April and involves a trip to Belgium or France. We also enter a number of 2-rider teams the Duo Normand Team Time Trial in September each year.
- Century Series – There is a series of 100 miles rides throughout the summer months, to destinations including: Whitstable, Hastings, Rye, Eastbourne, New Forest, Isle of Wight.
- Annual General Meetings - An opportunity for all club members to have their say and make improvements. At this annual event, we hold the election of officers. So, if you're keen to help out and make things happen in the club, here will be your chance!
- Annual Dinner - This event is to celebrate members’ achievements for the year by awarding club trophies and a great excuse to get together for a night out, friends and family welcome.